The following professional development workshops in the series “Developing World Class Employees” will be offered through Linn-Benton Community College Business and Employer Services, 6500 Pacific Blvd. SW, Albany, starting September 8.
Foundations of Effective Communication will be held September 8 from 8 a.m. to Noon in the Fireside Room, CC-211. It’s estimated that 85 percent of your professional success depends on the quality of your communication. Effective communication skills improve your ability to get the job done, and can make it easier to develop high quality professional relationships.
Communication is both science and art. Not only is it important to know what to say and how to say it (science) but also when to say it and if to say it (art).
During this interactive workshop participants will learn how to:
• Apply principles of effective communication
• Establish and maintain rapport during interactions.
• Recognize and utilize multiple communication styles.
• Communicate with credibility to accomplish tasks more effectively.
• Communicate with approachability for high quality relationships.
• Apply positive persuasion and influence strategies.
HR 101-Essential Knowledge for every Supervisor’s Toolbox will be held October 1, 8 a.m. to Noon, in the Fireside Room, CC-211. It's not uncommon for employees to be promoted into supervisor roles with no formal training in employment legal compliance issues. Because of this, serious legal problems can arise when supervisors ask inappropriate questions, fail to properly document poor performance, or inadvertently create a hostile work environment.
This basic HR 101 presentation provides information and strategies to prevent liability in the workplace.
At this presentation you will receive training in:
• Employment discrimination laws including Title VII,
ADA, ADEA, FMLA
• Preventing the creation of a hostile work environment
• Creating a paper trail for poor performance
• How to avoid inappropriate and discriminatory interview questions.
Effective Meeting and Facilitation Skills will be held October 13, 8 a.m. to Noon, in the Fireside Room, CC-211. Do you feel like you spend too much time in useless meetings? Meetings don’t have to be dull, boring and unproductive.
Learn the common problems of meetings and how to solve them, and how to facilitate meetings that result in improved goal setting, decision-making and that support teams in working as a unit.
This session provides tools to become a more effective facilitator and includes these key meeting leader strategies:
• Learn about the role of the facilitator and how to manage the expectations of meeting participants
• Identify the characteristics of effective meetings
• Determine when to have meetings, when not to have meetings, and learn some effective alternatives to meetings
• Learn how to facilitate 6 main types of meetings
• Practice strategies that successful leaders use to engage participants and overcome common meeting problems
• Learn to lead a stand up meeting
Cost for each four-hour workshop is $89 per person, or $79 each for three or more from one company. For more information or to register, contact LBCC Business and Employer Services at 541-917-4923 or 541-917-4926.